Get ready to tantalize your taste buds with a delicious Indian-spiced tomato soup recipe from none other than The Associated Press. Known for their factual reporting and trusted journalism, The AP has been delivering news in various formats for years. But did you know they also offer a wide range of content, including recipes and cooking tips? From ginger sweet potato pancakes to Spanish steak sandwiches, they’ve got it all! With their diverse offerings and dedication to providing quality content, The AP is sure to have something for everyone. So, grab your apron and get ready to whip up a flavorful bowl of Indian-spiced tomato soup that will leave you craving more.
Indian-Spiced Tomato Soup Recipe
Introduction to Indian-Spiced Tomato Soup
If you’re in the mood for a flavorful and comforting soup, look no further than Indian-Spiced Tomato Soup. This delicious and aromatic soup combines the richness of tomatoes with a blend of Indian spices to create a dish that will tantalize your taste buds. Whether you’re a fan of Indian cuisine or simply looking to try something new, this recipe is sure to be a hit.
Indian-Spiced Tomato Soup not only tastes great, but it’s also packed with nutrients. Tomatoes are rich in vitamins A, C, and K, as well as minerals like potassium and folate. The addition of spices like ginger, cumin, and coriander not only adds to the flavor but also provides additional health benefits. These spices are known for their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, making this soup a nutritious choice.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it can be prepared in no time at all. From prepping the ingredients to blending the soup, you can have a steaming bowl of tomato goodness on the table in just 30 minutes. This makes it a perfect option for a quick weeknight dinner or a hearty lunch.
This recipe yields approximately 4 servings, making it ideal for a small gathering or as a main course for a family dinner. However, the recipe can easily be doubled or halved to accommodate more or fewer people. It’s a versatile dish that can be adjusted to suit your needs.
Don’t let the exotic flavors fool you – this recipe is incredibly easy to make. With clear instructions and basic cooking techniques, even novice cooks can whip up a batch of Indian-Spiced Tomato Soup. It requires simple ingredients that are readily available, and the steps are straightforward. So roll up your sleeves and get ready to impress your taste buds!
To create a delightful bowl of Indian-Spiced Tomato Soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- Tomatoes: 6 ripe tomatoes, washed and chopped.
- Onion: 1 medium-sized onion, diced.
- Garlic: 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Ginger: 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated.
- Cumin: 1 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- Coriander: 1 teaspoon of ground coriander.
- Turmeric: 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric.
- Red chili powder: 1/2 teaspoon (adjust according to spice preference).
- Salt: To taste.
- Oil: 2 tablespoons (vegetable or olive oil).
Now that you have gathered all the required ingredients, let’s dive into the step-by-step process of making Indian-Spiced Tomato Soup:
Step 1: Prep the Ingredients
Before you start cooking, ensure that all the ingredients are prepped and ready to go. Follow these simple steps:
- Gather the Required Ingredients: Check your kitchen inventory to ensure that you have all the necessary ingredients. It’s always better to be prepared.
- Wash and Chop the Tomatoes: Rinse the tomatoes under cold water and remove any stems. Chop them into bite-sized pieces, keeping in mind that they will be blended later.
- Dice the Onion: Peel the onion and dice it into small pieces. Try to make them as uniform as possible for even cooking.
- Mince the Garlic: Peel the garlic cloves and mince them finely. The smaller the pieces, the better the flavor distribution.
- Grate the Ginger: Use a grater or a zester to grate the fresh ginger. This will ensure that it blends seamlessly into the soup.
Step 2: Sauté the Aromatics
To build the depth of flavor in your soup, it’s essential to sauté the aromatics. Here’s how you do it:
- Heat Oil in a Pot: Place a large cooking pot over medium heat and add the oil. Allow it to heat up for a minute or two.
- Add Onion, Garlic, and Ginger: Once the oil is hot, add the diced onion, minced garlic, and grated ginger to the pot. Stir them together and let them cook until they become fragrant and golden brown.
Step 3: Add the Spices
The spices are what give this soup its distinct Indian flavor. Add them at the right moment to enhance their aromas:
- Add Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric, and Red Chili Powder: Sprinkle the ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, and red chili powder over the sautéed aromatics. Stir everything together and let the spices cook for about a minute, allowing their flavors to bloom.
Step 4: Cook the Tomatoes
The star of the show is, of course, the tomatoes. It’s time to add them to the mix and let them simmer until they are soft and tender:
- Add Chopped Tomatoes: Carefully pour the chopped tomatoes into the pot, making sure to include any juices that may have accumulated.
- Season with Salt: Sprinkle salt over the tomatoes to enhance their natural flavors. Remember to add salt in small increments, tasting as you go.
- Cover and Simmer: Place a lid on the pot and lower the heat to medium-low. Let the soup simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft and cooked through.
Step 5: Blend the Soup
To achieve a smooth and velvety consistency, it’s time to blend the soup:
- Use an Immersion Blender or Countertop Blender: If you have an immersion blender, carefully blend the soup directly in the pot until smooth. Alternatively, you can transfer the soup in batches to a countertop blender and blend until creamy.
- Adjust Consistency and Seasonings: If the soup is too thick, add a little water or vegetable broth to thin it out. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed, adding more salt or spices according to your preference.
Step 6: Garnish and Serve
Your Indian-Spiced Tomato Soup is now ready to be enjoyed! Here’s how you can make it look as good as it tastes:
- Ladle the soup into bowls.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, a drizzle of olive oil, or a dollop of yogurt, if desired.
- Serve the soup hot with crusty bread or naan on the side.
Congratulations! You have successfully made a delicious batch of Indian-Spiced Tomato Soup. The combination of rich tomatoes, aromatic spices, and the warmth of Indian flavors makes this a truly satisfying dish. Whether you enjoy it as a light lunch or a comforting dinner, this soup is sure to please.
Variations and Customizations
Feel free to get creative and make this recipe your own. Here are a few ideas to experiment with:
- Protein Boost: Add cooked lentils or chickpeas to the soup to make it more filling and nutritious.
- Creamy Twist: Stir in a splash of coconut milk or cream for a creamy and indulgent version of the soup.
- Vegetable Medley: Toss in some diced carrots, bell peppers, or spinach to add more veggies to your soup.
- Heat Level: Adjust the amount of red chili powder according to your spice preference. For an extra kick, you can also add a fresh green chili pepper to the sautéed aromatics.
So go ahead and have fun with this recipe. Let your taste buds guide you on a culinary adventure through the flavors of India. Enjoy!