How to make soft puffed puris
Step by step instructions to make puris, with photos. I am uploading this recipe mainly for my grandchildren who are away, and requested me to post the same.
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 tbs. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. salt (or per taste)
1 cup warm water (can be substituted with milk)
2 cups vegetable oil for frying puries
1) Add 2 tbs. oil to the flour.
2) Gradually add water or milk to the flour and mix, while kneading the dough. This will make puris softer and puffier as more air will be trapped in the dough.
3) Also, put ample quantities of love. This makes puris muff more than anything else.
4) Note that puri dough should be harder than chapati dough.
5) Make balls of the dough, roughly 1.5 inches in diameter. Roll using a rolling pin.
6) Heat oil in a kadhai or frying pan. Do not use non stick pans, since these are not safe for use at the high temperature that oil reaches.
7) Slide the raw puri into the oil.
8) Puris will rise to the surface immediately if the oil is heated to the right temperature. If oil starts smoking then it is too hot. You must keep regulating the heat to make sure oil doesnt get too hot or cold.
9) Press down lightly on the puri as it fries, to help it puff up.
10) Once puris turn golden brown, put them on a strainer to drain excess oil.