Goan style prawn curry
Authentic Goan Style Prawns Curry
1 cup (200 g) 7 oz Prawns, small, shelled, deveined
2 cups (200 g) 7 oz Coconut (nariyal), grated
2 cups (500 ml) 16 fl oz Warm water
2 tbsp (30 ml) 1 fl oz Vegetable oil
1 Onion, small, finely sliced
1-2 Green chillies, slit
5 Curry leaves (kadhi patta)
Tamarind (imli), walnut-sized ball, soaked in
30 g (1 oz) 1/4 cup water for 5 minutes
1/2 tsp (1 1/2 g) Sugar
Salt to taste
For the spice paste:
8 Kashmiri chillies (sookhi lal mirch)
1 1/2 tsp (3 g) Coriander (dhaniya) seeds
1 tsp (2 g) Cumin (jeera) seeds
1/2 tsp Uncooked rice, washed
1/4 tsp Turmeric (haldi) powder
1 tsp (6 cloves) Garlic (lasan), minced
1. Grind the coconut with 1/2 cup warm water and extract thick coconut milk. Reserve. Add 2 1/2 cups warm water to the coconut, grind again and extract thin coconut milk. Keep aside.
2. For the spice paste, grind all the ingredients mentioned with a little water to a smooth paste.
3. Heat the oil in a pan; saute the onion for 3 minutes. Add the spice paste; saute for 1 minute more. Add the thin coconut milk, green chillies, and curry leaves. Cook on medium heat, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
4. Strain the tamarind pulp and add to the curry with the prawns. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the sugar and salt to taste.
5. Finally, add the thick coconut milk. Simmer without boiling for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
6. Serve with steamed white rice and fried fish.
Variation 1: Add 10 okra (bhindi) cut into 1 1/2 inch. pieces. Omit uncooked rice in the spice paste.
Variation 2: Add 1 peeled, sliced mango (unripe) or a few sliced bimblims. Omit the tamarind.
Variation 3 : Can also be done with King Fish (Surmai).