Fish Fried – Bankikodla Style
This dish is for true fish lovers! Preparation with small fish tastes best, however, those not familiar with these kind of fish may substitute it with pomfret or iswan(surmai), but small fish have a distinct taste. This is a side dish served with fish curry/rice. Learnt this exquisite dish from my Aai, who was from Bankikodla, a Paradise on Earth :)! To savor this dish, keep the head of fish intact. Hold the fish between the front teeth to separate flesh from bones. If dried bread crumbs are no readily available, one may substitute it with rawa. but to me any fried fish coated with a powder of bread crumbs tastes best. Whenever you cut Mumbai-type pav, do not throw away the crumbs. Dry it and keep it for future use for preparing any type of fried fish.
1. Half a kilo of small fish like lady fish, tarle (sardines) or mandali thoroughly cleaned and with two small slits across the body
2. Dried bread crumbs
3. Red chilly powder, coriander leaves, garlic cloves, haldi powder, lemon
4. Coconut oil
1. Marinate fish with a paste of red chillies, lemon juice, haldi, coriander leaves and garlic
2. Keep aside for an hour
3. Prepare a mixture of coarsely ground dried bread crumbs, chilly powder and salt to taste
4. Coat the fish with this mixture.
5. Deep fry in coconut oil.
6. Serve with fish curry and rice