Chicken Kundapuri Masala
Chicken Kundapuri Masala is a favorite chicken dish of the Bants (like Suniel Shetty, Shilpa Shetty, and Aishwarya Rai).
The dish is named after the town Kundapura in Udupi District of Coastal Karnataka. (Village Hattangadi is just six kilometers from Kundapura)
The Bants have made Masala Dosa, Idli's and Uttapas so popular and ubiquitous - through their Udupi restaurants. But surprisingly, they have not done much to popularize their fish and chicken dishes.
Like the Saraswats, the Bants too use a lot coconut in their dishes; be it vegetarian or non-vegetarian
By the way, it is not because of Shilpa Shetty or Aishwarya Rai I fell for this dish!
Try it and you will know the reason why my son is going to invite all his friends to have Kundapuri Chicken Masala.
1. One full Chicken cleaned and cut
1. 200 gm thick curds
2. Red Kashmiri or Bedgi Chilli Powder
3. Turmeric Powder
5. Ginger / Onion Paste
For the Masala
1. 1 grated fresh coconut
2. Red Kashmir or Bedgi Chillies (4-6 depending on your taste)
3. Cumin seeds (Quarter spoon)
4. Coriander seeds (Quarter spoon)
5. Fenugreek seeds (Quarter spoon)
1. Apply Ginger/Onion paste on each piece lovingly
2. Add Thick curds, chilli powder and turmeric powder.
3. Keep aside and let it marinate for 3 hours
1. Lightly roast the red Kashmiri chillies, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds and cumin seeds and grind in dry grinder.
2. Grate the coconut finely
3. Wet grind the grated coconut, and the dry ground red Kashmiri chillies, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds and cumin seeds to a very fine paste
4. Roast the chicken pieces for about 5-7 minutes.
5. Add the wet ground masala and a little bit of water to cover the pieces.
6. Cook on medium heat for 40 minutes.
Serve with hot rice.
PS: Please do not forget to invite meI I shall be there to taste and test your culinary skills. .